2tbsp olive oil
300g sweet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 large red onion, sliced into wedges
12 British cherry tomatoes on the vine, halved
250g pack cooked red and white quinoa
2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves
2tbsp mixed seeds (e.g. pumpkin, linseed, sunflower, chia seeds)
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp white wine vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roasted vegetables and juicy British cherry tomatoes make this tasty main-course salad.
Prep time: 15min
Cook time: 25min
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Put the sweet potato into a roasting tin with the olive oil and toss to coat. Roast for 15 minutes, add the pepper and red onion, then roast for 10 more minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven. Add the British cherry tomatoes and stir them through gently.
3. Microwave the quinoa according to pack instructions, or cook in a little water to heat thoroughly. Stir it through the roasted vegetables. Share between 2 serving plates with the salad leaves.
4. For the dressing, mix together the olive oil, vinegar and mustard with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salads.
5. Toast the mixed seeds in a dry frying pan for about 1 minute. Scatter them over the salads and serve at once.
Cook’s tip: You could use butternut squash instead of sweet potato. As an alternative to cherry tomatoes, use British vine tomatoes, sliced into wedges.
Did You Know?
If all the British tomato plants were lined up end to end, they would wrap round the equator 8 times.