250g quinoa (white, red or black – or a combination)
2tsp vegetable stock powder (or 1 vegetable stock cube)
2 courgettes, cut into chunks
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 red onion, sliced into wedges
2tbsp olive oil
16 British cherry on the vine tomatoes, halved
4 handfuls of young spinach or watercress
80g feta cheese
2tsp chia seeds
3tbsp olive oil
2tbsp lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Try this on-trend salad, made with cooked quinoa and roasted vegetables, with luscious British Cherry Tomatoes and a lively lemon dressing.
Prep time: 15min
Cook time: 25min
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Rinse the quinoa in a sieve, then put it into a saucepan with the stock powder or crumbled stock cube. Add double the volume of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
3. While the quinoa is cooking, put the courgettes, peppers and red onion into a roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and stir through the cherry tomatoes.
4. Drain any excess liquid from the quinoa, then mix it through the roasted vegetables with the spinach or watercress.
5. For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then drizzle over the salad. Serve, sprinkled with crumbled feta cheese and chia seeds.
Cook’s tip: You can roast the courgettes, peppers and red onion the day before – then just cool, cover and refrigerate, ready to mix with the other ingredients the next day.
Did You Know?
Tomatoes accounted for nearly a third of the 36 million tonnes of fresh veg sold in W.Europe in 2014.