225g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
50g chilled butter, cut into small pieces
100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
4tbsp low fat plain yogurt
4 British cocktail tomatoes, sliced
6 British plum on the vine tomatoes, halved
1tsp mixed dried Italian herbs
50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Basil leaves, to garnish
In this recipe, the pizza base is made with scone dough, flavoured with grated mature Cheddar. It’s topped with juicy British tomatoes, herbs and grated cheese for an Italian inspired dish with a truly British twist.
Prep time: 20min
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese.
3. Combine the yogurt and milk, then stir just enough into the scone mixture to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Draw the dough together with your hand, turn onto a surface sprinkled with a little flour and knead lightly for a few moments.
4. Roll out the dough to a circle about 30cm in diameter. Place onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Top with the tomatoes, herbs and grated cheese, then bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Serve, sprinkled with basil leaves.
Cook’s tip: You could use sliced British Classic Tomatoes and Cherry Tomatoes for a change.
Did You Know?
2.5 million British native bumblebees pollinate all the tomato crops in the UK. That’s 24 billion wing beats per minute in British tomato greenhouses.