4 large vine tomatoes
freshly ground black pepper
6 small onions, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
15 coriander seeds, crushed
10g of oregano leaves
200ml of olive oil
1. Begin with the onion base. Add the sliced onions to a heavy-bottomed pan with the crushed garlic and coriander seeds, the fresh oregano and olive oil
2. Place over a medium heat and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure the mixture is soft, fragrant and evenly cooked. Divide between 4 small copper pans or ovenproof dishes, ensuring each is half full
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5
4. For the top layer, cut the aubergines in half lengthways and slice each into thin semi-circles. Repeat with the large vine tomatoes to create similar sized semi-circle slices
5. Arrange the slices on top of the onion mixture, alternating the tomato and aubergine until the pans (or dishes) are full – the vegetables will shrink slightly as they cook so should be packed in as tightly as possible
6. Season the tops with salt and pepper, place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened and just turning golden-brown on top
7. Carefully drain any excess oil from the pans and serve hot. Alternatively, allow to cool completely then reheat in the oven for 10–15 minutes to serve
Did You Know?
If all the British tomato plants were lined up end to end, they would wrap round the equator 8 times.